Monday, December 6, 2010

Corbin Is 3!!

He had a very fun birthday! He sort of got it this year. He definitely got into the idea of cupcakes. I need to find a vegan cupcake recipe that works though. Boxed cake mixes with substituted ingredients for eggs do not work! They are way too crumbly, but he adored them anyway.

We spent his actual birthday recovering from illness, so it was a very low-key day. His Grandma Mary & Grandpa Miller came over in the afternoon & he opened some presents from them and from us.





On the day after his birthday, we celebrated with friends at the Little Gym. The day started off worrisome as we were getting phone calls left and right with updated RSVPS due to illness. But about 8 kids or so were still able to come, so it was still a nice sized group. This cold and flu season is just brutal!

He didn't really want to do any of the group activities, but he really loved running around freely. Here are some pictures from his party!












His 3 year doctor's visit was interesting. His stats are great- he is 30 1/2 pounds and I *think* 36 inches. I might be wrong on the height. But I do remember that he was 50th percentile for weight and 75th percentile for height. So, he has definitely had a growth spurt. His feet are growing, too. I need to buy him some size 9 shoes. THose are probably on the smaller side for most kids his age, but he just got into an 8 at the end of September, so he hasn't been wearing his current shoes for long, and now we have to buy new ones.

Mostly, we talked about how he's progressing academically. She ended up observing him for a while because I wanted her to see what I was talking about. I told her to just say a random sentence & that he would write it. And he did. Then she started to dig deeper with socialization questions. And honestly, communication has been difficult for a while. Not the actual speech itself. He can come up with the words for things just fine. But as far as actually interacting, it has been his habit to fall into reciting books, tv programs, etc. She asked me if I would like to have this investigated because it is so unusual for him to be so cognitively advanced & I agreed to that. So, she has referred us to the Children's Development Center for some testing.

Of course, because we've now gone forward with this testing, his communication skills have improved. And probably because we've been paying more attention to it!

We went away on Saturday overnight, and when we returned, we walked in & hugged him. Jon asked him, "Did you miss me?" and Corbin directly replied, "I did miss you, Dad!" So cute! He's been answering yes or no questions well. It's just taking some coaching so far.

Here are some photos that I took of him in honor of him turning 3. We tried to have them done at a studio, but the studio had no patience with us & barely tried to captivate his attention. It was bad news. I complained to their corporate offices about the poor service, and I rarely complain like that.

Anyway, here is my sweet little 3 year old!











No comments:

Post a Comment

san diego foreclosures